Friday, November 30, 2012

Weigh In Day.

Personally, I don't like doing this. But according to the book I'm reading about running nutrition, I should be weighing myself at least once a week. So, I announce Friday to be weigh-in day. It follows Thursday, which I typically try to make my long run day, and it precedes the weekend. Normally, I'd dread Monday and getting on the scale, but now since my eating is under control, and I don't over indulge in the weekend cocktails anymore, it shouldn't scare me that much. Still and all, Friday is a good day because it sets my up for my weekend activities and will dictate what I can and cannot do, or should do, as far as a workout goes.

I also bought an Ormon Body Fat Tester. This the one they recommended in the book I am reading. I have been wanting to get my body fact checked for a few years now. And, I still intend to. But this is good for a rough estimate. If you had asked me cold what my body fat percentage was, I'd have answered 16%. But that is more like a goal percentage. I wish it were that low. According to my Ormon, I'm checking in at 18.5%. It seems that 2 more percentage points shouldn't be too hard to hit.



My weight? 117.8. I'm happy with that number this week. Late last year I contracted an awful stomach virus. Because of it I dropped almost 5 pounds. I was at the lightest weight I had been in years at 114. By the time the New Prague half marathon rolled around in May, I was able to keep my weight between 115 and 116. I truly believe that I ran that race at the pace that I did because of my weight. I have not been able to match it since, and I have gained a solid 2 pounds. Again, I know it doesn't sound like much, but when you are small to begin with, it is quite a significant percentage.

According to Matt Fitzgerald, author of  Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever "..the addition of 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of weight was shown to increase the energy cost of running by 3.5 percent. This loss of economy would turn a 40-minute 10k runner into a 41:28 10k runner." Again, doesn't seem like a lot, but double it for a half marathon, and it explains some of the differences I had in the half marathons I ran this year.

Now, perhaps I'm being a bit anal about this. After all, running is about the run. And I do enjoy "the run". But with the run I am achieving peace, serenity and the love of the run. But I like to have something to reach for. Not only do I want to run a marathon in 2013, but I'd love to beat my New Prague half marathon time. This is going to mean better nutrition, fueling, and watching the body weight.

Now you know why I'm weighing myself once a week.

It's also going to mean recording what I eat, so I'll be returning to My Fitness Pal for that, starting tomorrow. I'd like to attempt to get back to 116 and try running a few 10k's this winter, just to see what the difference is between now and being at the lower weight. But, the key will be getting the proper nutrition in and losing that weight at the same time, while allowing myself enough calories to maintain my highly energetic lifestyle.

I'll keep you updated!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.