Tuesday, March 26, 2013

FitBit and the Inferiority Complex

My Fitbit (I think she needs a name so that she knows when I'm cursing her out) has been tossing out  some pretty nasty messages at me lately. Clearly, she doesn't think I'm doing enough. Faster, Theresa! Step It Up, Theresa! Move It, Theresa! Boy, can she throw a guilt trip.

Therefore, today, I had a few 15 minute breaks amidst my class session. So, I found a staircase, a 3-flight staircase, and walked up and down them...at least 8 times, twice today. Little Miss Fitbit has nuthin' on me today! According to my readings, I did 28 flights. I suppose that includes getting to the cafeteria, and walking in and out of the school today. You gotta make use of every minute you have, right?



Marathon Training: Day 37
Hal said to run 3-miles today. Seeing as that I had class this morning at 8:30 am, this run had to be done on the treadmill, despite the fact that spring really is trying to push it's way into Minnesota. It is just way too dark at 5:15 am for me. And I don't trust anyone awake that early with no natural light to be found.

Despite the fact that I woke up ready and raring to run, I had absolutely no idea what the hell to do today. I figured I'd wing it. The last article I read about endurance tells me I shouldn't worry so much about running fast to increase my overall speed, rather I should run more intervals...moments at a fast pace bordered by recovery minutes. OK.

I still don't know what the hell I did. I know I did a warm up walk for 10 minutes. Then I set the treadmill for 3 miles at a 1% incline. I did 7.0 mph for 4 minutes (don't ask me why I chose 4 minutes. I think it was because I was getting bored and I needed to pick up the pace). Then I upped it to 7.5 mph for the next 4 minutes. And I upped it again to 8.0 mph for the next 4 minutes. After that it gets a little fuzzy.  But here is how I remember it going.

7.0 mph for 4 minutes
7.5 mph for 4 minutes
8.0 mph for 4 minutes
8.5 mph for 3 minutes
7.5 mph for 3 minutes
8.0 mph until I had .25 miles left
8.5 mph until run ended.

All totaled  it was a 24:57 run, I think. Again, this is only how I remembered it. I was pretty soaked when I finished, and I felt like I ran a hard run. Not sure what it did for me, if anything. But I know that when I go outdoors after a few days of treadmill training, I'm running stronger and a bit quicker. So, I must be doing something right.

The weather looks great tomorrow to head outdoors as the temperatures should approach 40°! I'm pretty sure Hal is calling for 6 or 7. I don't have the schedule in front of me. I may just go ahead and do my hilly 7-miler tomorrow if there is no wind.

Are you training for a half or full marathon? Are you following a training plan or are you just winging it?




7 comments:

Karen Orozco said...

Hi! I've been reading but you asked just the right question to get me to respond! ;) I'm training for a half, but I've had injuries in the last year or so, so I'm going slow. I'll be following a plan, but not until I get closer (1/2 is in Feb. 2014) right now I'm just working on getting myself super comfy with 3 and 4 mile runs...without injury!

Mark Matthews said...

Funny your wrote about the fitbit. I saw it on your site for the first time, and then looked into it. It doesn't seem to work via gps does it?

A running chick said...

Thanks, Karen! Good luck to you in your training. As I have learned as well, slow and steady wins the race. You'll be great!!

A running chick said...

Mark, my husband is a whiz at gadgets. It has bluetooth in it, but no GPS. He says it has a sensor that senses movement...whether back to front or up and down. This is how it determines stairs climbed and steps taken. The bluetooth is just to communicate with your computer or phone.

Anonymous said...

I am not in anyway good at following training plans....I just have an idea of how much I should be running and try for that.

Pinky said...

I just came in to your blog from Running Blogs :) I'm also training, using a modified plan that I got from harloopschema.nl (I'm in the Netherlands). I had to tweak it because I went on holiday for a week during that time and had to build in a buffer. I also tweaked it for a 10K race I had a couple of Sundays ago (when I was supposed to have my long run, so I had that the week after).

I only did one other HM and it was awful, I didn't train well at all. What I did this time was read up on different plans and figure out what they were all consistently saying - intervals and a bit of HR/ speed work seemed to be "it". And, actually, I think the intervals have really helped me keep going!

Now I just have to get through without stopping. My brain likes to play tricks on me and tells me I have to stop and walk a bit...

I have a fitbit as well :) I LOVE it! But I know what you mean about the commands! I find myself walking around randomly just to make my 10K steps on rest days. I don't want to stand around idle anymore!

I'm rambling way too much on your blog, sorry for that - nice to meet you :)

I'm over at lowfatpie.com/blog if you are inclined to visit!

A running chick said...

Pinky! It is so great to meet you! Ramble away ANY TIME! I love to hear from fellow runners. It sounds like you are on the right track. And yes, it is for sure 90% mental. If I can run a half marathon, I know you can! I'm going to make sure I check your blog so I can see how you do! Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.