Friday, March 8, 2013

Marathon Training: Week 3

It has been a busy and exhausting week. I can't even remember when I posted last. There was a death in the family and my husband really felt the need to attend the service of his only Aunt. So, he made a mad dash for Michigan on Monday morning. Therefore I got the crash course on the Bobcat and snow plow as the biggest storm of the season was bearing down on us. This meant a delay in Monday's workout. But I got it done, plus a dog walk.

Tuesday, we were snowed in. Not knowing how the morning was going to play out, I got up at 5am to do my 3-miler on the treadmill. It was a good run. I aimed for a negative split, which I'm pretty sure I accomplished.

Wednesday, the same...early to rise to get the 5-miler in, plus P90X before getting the girls off to school. Hal said to run marathon pace, so I chose 8:30 to do the run. It was good. Maybe a tad fast, but tough for me to gauge on the treadmill. Either way, a good training run.

Thursday, I took it outside. The roads cleared up in a hurry despite the deep snow everywhere else. Hal called for 3. I went 5. Why? It was sunny. Good enough reason for me. I also tried some new treads, knowing that my Brooks Launch's aren't going to live forever. I opted to try the Brooks Pure Cadence. Unfortunately, I got some blisters doing the dog walk in my boots on Monday. So, this wasn't a good, true test. But, I think they will make a good replacement. I can feel the extra cushioning mid-foot. And I think it helps me with mid-foot placement during the run. I had to go a full size higher in these sneakers...up to a 9. I'm looking forward to going a longer distance in these. I'm pretty certain the Launch aren't cushioned enough to take me through a full marathon. These may do the trick. I chose a pretty pink. And because the Pure Cadence 2 is already out, these were a good bargain at around $69.


I think I need to make a trip to my running store and check out some of the newer Brooks models, just to be sure. They are having a Newton event that I signed up for on the 19th. I'm looking forward to that!

Today, I had class again, so I just did a 90 minute treadmill walk. Tomorrow, Hal is calling for 6 miles. Snow is expected again here, this time mixed with a conglomerate of other weather. It will be a treadmill run, I'm pretty sure. I'll be so darn happy when this winter is over!

And I didn't take a photo, but I'm back down to 115.6 this morning. Crazy. I'm reading a new book called "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis. I'm already hooked and I'm convinced that I need to give up wheat. I also believe I may have a late life peanut allergy. Remember that sinus infection I thought I had in January? Well, I'm now suspecting it is peanuts. I haven't had any peanuts for 2 weeks, and I've had no symptoms. The other day, I had a few peanuts, and the post nasal drip was almost instant. I'm going to give it a week and try the peanuts again to see what happens. Third time is a charm. If it happens again, I'll go in for some allergy testing.

I also have significant ringing in my ears so I plan to find an ENT doctor to have that looked at. My sister has had the same issue recently. I'm thinking I've got the same thing.

But, I'm keeping myself healthy, taking my vitamins, continuing my stretching, still off the alcohol, and now abstaining from wheat as well. The next few weeks will tell a lot!

Do you have any food allergies or intolerances? What foods do you substitute for them?

1 comments:

ThePetitePacer said...

That's really interesting about the peanuts! I can't wait to see how you respond to the next time you try them.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.