Wednesday, March 13, 2013

No sign of spring

Is it really March? You wouldn't know it by going outside...at least here in Minnesota. The sun can fool you into believing it is way warmer than it is. I'm starting to think spring will never get here.

I made it outside, regardless. And as much as I complain about the weather, the treadmill is much worse. I just bundled up and got out there. And to be honest, I must have done a good job of that, because I wasn't all that cold. But when I arrived home and chugged down a mouthful of ice chards from the water bottle I took along with me, I realized just how cold it was out there. 32° was promised today, but I don't think we even made it to 29°, even in full March sunshine. Even in Minnesota, that is hard to come by. Run time temperature was 19°, according to the weather service...at 11:30am.

Hal called for 6 today. But I have a race on Saturday. It is the Get Lucky 7K. Last I checked, 7K is just a bit more than 4 miles. Saturday, Hal calls for 11. So, I just switched it all around. I figured, I'm out, I have gel packs, it is sunny, I feel pretty good...I'll just go for it today.

Really, it was a good run. At yesterday's running clinic, the instructor stressed the 180 bpm stride. I haven't really been consistent with the metronome training, so I switched it on today. Here is what I learned:

1. I hit this stride with tremendous ease running up hill. I mean...on the nuts! How crazy is that? Down hill and straight aways I really have to concentrate on hitting it just right.

2. Espresso Love GU packs are my FAVORITE.

3. Don't expect miracles on an 11-mile run following a round of P90X. Yeah, not the best timing to do both in one day.

But, despite it all, I had a good run. When I got home, however, it was already near 1pm, and I was quite hungry. I scarfed down a Shakeology for lunch and it chilled me to the bone. I was so cold, I developed an instant headache. So I looked around and saw my dogs lying in the sun. That is what I should do! So, I went off into the bedroom where there were no dogs, and laid in the sun. Boy, did that feel good. So good, in fact, I think I dozed off. When the phone startled me from my slumber, I was warm as toast. And the headache was gone. Good thing.


I think I look worse than I felt.

Any signs of spring where you are?

1 comments:

ThePetitePacer said...

Crocus and 50 degree temps. For now.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.