Monday, January 14, 2013

Adventures in Eating

Shrimp Chowder-Family Style

In my never ending quest to improve my own health and fitness, I strive to improve that of my family's as well. This means, quite literally, adventures in eating. I'm blessed in that my daughters will try anything I put in front of them. My husband, well, he has no choice because he can't cook. I shouldn't say can't cook, rather won't cook.

This all has made me a slave to the internet, constantly researching, testing, adjusting, and then recording recipes that the family might enjoy. At the same time, I try to keep them low carb, and containing little or no dairy. And this can be challenging, to say the least. For the most part, I mainly eat salad at dinner with a side of veggies, and perhaps a small serving of whatever I have prepared for the family. This works for me, as I'd rather consume the majority of my carbs and protein earlier in the day.

I stumbled across this recipe while searching non-dairy chowders. My family, well, they are soup nazi's. I don't think there is a soup I make that they won't eat. Everyone loves soup, and when temperatures in Minnesota hover around that 0° for weeks on end, soup is the way to warm everyone's mood. This one looked too good to be true. But true to form, I started changing it up immediately as I went along. The link to the original recipe is here. Of course, I doubled mine, because this family can eat. So my recipe will serve more than 4.

Shrimp Chowder-Family Style

Ingredients:
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2 large zucchini, cut into large chunks (Don't peel them. It will add fiber and nutrients and make the soup a lovely green hue)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 Tbs. grape seed oil or oil of your choice, divided
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 1 cup chopped zucchini (additional)
  • 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
  • 1/2 cup diced carrots
  • 2 Tbs. butter
  • 24 oz. raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
 Directions:
  1. Steam first two ingredients in a veggie steamer or the microwave until tender. To steam in the microwave, place 1 cup of water in a large Pyrex pan, add cauliflower and zucchini, and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove pan, stir, and add more water if necessary. Return to microwave for 5 minutes more. Continue this if necessary until veggies pierce easily with a fork.
  2. In the meantime, in a saute pan, saute the celery, onions, additional zucchini, and carrots in grape seed oil, or oil of your choice. Cook until veggies are tender, or about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. Carefully pour half the broth, coconut milk and steamed cauliflower/zucchini mix into a blender. Once pureed, pour into a stock pot, then blend the second batch. You may need to do this a few times depending on the size of your blender. Into the pureed mixture in the stock pot, add the Old Bay, Dijon  lemon juice, and butter. If the soup is too thick, add a bit more broth or coconut milk. Once ingredients are incorporated, add the sauteed veggies. Lower heat to simmer.
  4. Chop the shrimp into small chunks. Saute the shrimp in the remaining oil and in the same pan you sauteed your veggies, until seared on the outside. Add to pureed soup. Add a Tbls. or two of chicken broth to the pan and de-glaze, scraping up any brown bits, and add to pot. Simmer for 5 minutes or so until shrimp is cooked through.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. For a real treat, sprinkle with some fresh Parmesan cheese, or drown it in Chipotle Tabasco Sauce, like my husband does...


I added the extra chopped veggies because my family likes soup with sustanence. The liquid base with just the shrimp in the original recipe would not have been filling enough for my crew. No one even guessed, nor did I reveal that the main base of the soup was cauliflower. BONUS! If you try my version, let me know what you think! I thought it rocked.

We served it with a side salad, and some Whole Wheat Rhodes Baked Rolls. Delish!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.