Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Marathon Training: Day 2

Wait! What happened to Day 1? Well, it was yesterday and it was a rest day. And suffice it to say. 9 hours in the back seat of a Sequoia in 40 mph cross winds was more like hell than a rest day. But still, no workout was achieved.

Today, although listed as Day 2, was more like Day 1. The program required 3 miles at a "comfortable" pace. I already see problems with this program. Someone please define "comfortable". Does it mean I run slow? Does it mean I run at my fast, but I feel great pace?

It seems that since I'll be running on a treadmill for a good chunk of this marathon training program, I'll need some definitions of the words "easy", "comfortable", "normal" and "marathon" pace. Wouldn't I want my marathon pace to be easy, comfortable and normal? Gawd, I'm confused already.

I plan to ask the question from the man himself, Hal Higdon, in his marathon training forum. Perhaps he can give me some insight.


In the meantime, I've picked up both his Marathon book from the library, and Matt Freeman's Racing Weight book. I'm not quite sure what else I'm expecting to learn that I don't already know, but I guess it is better to be well educated than not at all.

All this being said, today's workout was 3-miles on the treadmill. I started at 5.0 mph, and worked my way up to 7.0 mph by the final half mile. It was easy and non-taxing. I didn't include my warm up or cool down in my Dailymile numbers. But I did walk an additional 2 miles after the run. I figured it wouldn't hurt. And if I don't move at least 5-miles a day, I don't feel much accomplished.

We missed P90X yesterday because we were driving home, but my husband and I will tackle one tomorrow. I am also required to do 5 miles tomorrow. This will be done inside again, as we won't even get close to 20° tomorrow and wind chills should be about minus that number. Yuck.

Are you reading any good books these days? What is on your nightstand?

1 comments:

ThePetitePacer said...

This was always my issue with the subjective terms thrown around in all training articles and plans. Give me some numbers to work with, please!

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.