Monday, February 4, 2013

Reynauds, Alcohol, Peri-Menopause, Seltzer, and Prescription Medication

So, it is Monday again. And we've got a lot to cover today, as the title of this post reveals. Again, the week is starting off cold as hell. (Why do we say "cold as hell" when typically hell isn't cold?)

Anyway, I walked on the treadmill all weekend. My walks are pretty speedy though, as I try to get in 6 miles in 90 minutes. I like to keep my heart rate up at least to 140 bpm. Then at least I feel like I burn some calories of some kind.

This Raynaud's syndrome is starting to really bother me. I can't wait for some warmer weather. It is just the craziest thing that it developed this season and is just sticking with me. I swear, Spring can't come soon enough.

Raynaud's, anyone?
This has been an interesting week for me to say the least. The previous post tells my adventure on the Amoxicillin. I'm so grateful to be done with that. I think the sinuses are better but I'll know for sure within a few days. It never made it to my chest, thank goodness.

I am dying to run outdoors. Seriously...dying. There are mentions of 30° this week, both tomorrow and Thursday...both run days. My fingers are crossed. As are my toes.

I am on day 15 of refraining from alcohol. Don't get me wrong...I'm far from being an alcoholic. But my metabolism seems to be changing. With the peri-menopause and the night sweats...it is all worse on a few drinks. Recently, my husband and I reinstated "date night" and he is pretty insistent I have a few martinis to unwind. But, seriously...it does me no good. I don't sleep well, I feel like shit the following day, and it is added calories I'd rather eat, quite honestly. So, my abstinence experiment started last weekend.

What I've learned thus far? Well, it is tough not to drink when everyone else is. I have been consuming exorbitant amounts of seltzer water to make up for the lack of alcohol. I just ask the bartender to put a swizzle stick in it, and everyone assumes I'm drinking Vodka. I've learned that I get cranky when everyone else is imbibing and I am not. I don't like that too much. I have to force myself to have a good time. Because, quite honestly, since I'm not drinking, I'd rather be home doing something productive. At home, too...Friday nights is usually TV and cocktail night, and instead I made some Seltzer on the Soda Stream and squeezed some fresh citrus in it (Super Bowl Sunday, too). And I drink A LOT of it. Enough to make me get up in the middle of the night and pee...so I'm not so sure about the better sleep thing.

Another liter bites the dust.
I've also learned quite a bit about my husband, since he is now free to go all out when we are out...I'm driving, after all, since I'm not drinking. He is a character. But he is having fun. This is important.

This week I plan to add a stretching routine to my regular workout. I seem to be going backwards with my limberness. (Is that a word?) That needs to change. I've also ordered some interesting vitamins and minerals I plan to add to my diet. When they arrive, I'll explain everything I ordered and why I'm taking it. And since the prescription medicine is done, perhaps I'll weigh in this week...well, maybe.

Do you take any vitamins or supplements on a regular basis? If so, what do you take and why?





3 comments:

Lorisue5 said...

Magnesium...seems most of the population is deficient according to the research I did last year and like other things (iron especially) runners go through more of it and need supplements. Made a huge difference in Megan's muscle tightness and in my back pain. A neighbor who trains elite athletes around the world recommends Concentrace Mineral Drops, and while we tried that Megan has stuck with Mg Oxide from Nature's Bounty and I take a Mg Glycinate from a compounding pharmacy.

Anonymous said...

Due to my crappy thyroid and genetics I have really bad eyes so I take a vitamin for the eyes, the main ingredient is Lucien. I also try to take a multi vitamin everyday but that is had because I take my pills in the morning on an empty stomach(thyroid/allergy/eye vitamins) but multis need to be on a full stomach or I get very ill so I try to remember when i get home.

A running chick said...

Magnesium is one of the ones I ordered, Lorisue!

Candy, is it Lutein? I've heard that is great for the eyes.

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog post today! Don't forget to share it with your friends.